22 July 2017 Sedgefield were one of the few teams still involved with the Northern League this year.  The team travelled again to Maltby for 4 matches throughout the afternoon and evening.  Overall Sedgefield finished 3rd behind Warrington and Sheffield, a little disappointing and plenty of lessons to be learned for the future.

Sedgefield WPC Match Report

First match against a well known group of players from Sheffield.  Not for the first time in competition Sedgefield were slow out of the blocks conceding 2 early goals.  In matches that were reduced to 2 x 6mins that is a lot to give away.  The team rallied themselves and went in at half-time having scored through Michael H (1) and Ben S (2) with a 3-2 advantage. The second period Sedgefield dropped off players and this was costly with the team conceding 4 goals with Ben S providing the only response.

The next match against Warrington Sedgefield were up against a strong and well drilled side.  The Warrington team were physically much bigger with a good goalkeeper. Sedgefield defence started out strong denying the Warrington team any opportunities until halfway through the first half. Warrington continued to press and led at halftime  3-1 with Michael H scoring our only goal.  The second saw Sedgefield lose that concentration they started the match with and conceded a further 4 goals with Michael H providing the only response. Sedgefield eventually went down 7-2.  This was disappointing, however, Sedgefield provided Warrington a far stiffer challenge than Sheffield who Warrington turned over to become the tournament winners.

The next match up was against Grantham, which mostly comprised of Sheffield players and was coached by Chris Motley from Sheffield.  Watching Grantham in earlier matches it was clear that they were not the strongest team and Sedgefield had to put in a good performance to recover something and repair some damaged pride. Sedgefield got stuck into Grantham from the swim off and dominated the first half with an early goal from Ben S (2)  and followed by goals from Michael H (1) and Jake M (4) to lead at half time 0-7.  Second period was much the same with Sedgefield controlling play and scoring goals through Michael H (1), Haydn C (4), Niall C (1), Hollie T (1), Quinn W (1), Alex G (1).  Kate H matched the Grantham centre forward (Anna Motley) but at a cost of 3 majors. The team worked hard to ensure that Grantham had no opportunities and Ryan T in goal kept a clean sheet for the match.

The final match was against Bridgefield.  Again the team was asked to to work together to take something out of the competition.  Keeping up the momentum from the last match Sedgefield once again got into the match with early goals from Jake M (1) and Ben S (3).  Bridgefield looked a tired team and Sedgefield were able to control the first period going into halftime with a 6-0 advantage after further goals from Quinn W (1) and Haydn C (1).  The second half saw Bridgefield fight back, scoring 4 goals, but Sedgefield were not really troubled and added a further 5 goals through Michael H (1), Ben S (1), Hollie T (2), and Quinn W (1) to run out 11-4 winners.

Back To Latest News